Friday 6 May 2011

Slave by John MacArthur

A book review.

I just finished reading this book, which deals with a relationship that is often under-emphasised or misunderstood: the one between believers as slaves and Christ as our master. John MacArthur suggests that this truth has been covered up by our English Bibles, using words such as 'servant' instead of 'slave' and wrote the book to explain the real meaning of slave and what our role is as such. Belonging to Christ in this way is a biblical command, and an important facet of our relationship with God. MacArthur explains this biblically and clearly and reminds us that being the slave of a perfect master is in fact totally freeing.
This was not a new concept to me, the word doulos has been explained to me before, but MacArthur has some refreshing reminders and some encouraging and very challenging examples scattered about this book. It is very easy to read and quite short, but made me think about just how seriously I (don't) take obeying God. It was also hugely helpful to be reminded of my position as a slave, in that my owner who gives me my name imposes my very identity. I have been bought with a price from the sin I was enslaved to. Because slavery has been abolished in this country for a number of years now, all the truths that were conveyed by such a term are lost on this generation. Though a little repetitive at first, the book then develops and expands well on many areas of the relationship we have with God, our Lord (this name alone clearly acknowledges His as sole master and owner). I would recommend this book - it puts you back in your place, reminding you that though you are God's child (and thus extremely precious and unique) you are also His slave (and thus completely expected to do just as He asks without expectations or desire for reward).  

*I was provided this book for free through the Thomas Nelson BookSneeze Program in exchange for my unbiased review.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin