Friday 29 September 2006

The Goodbye Cake and Cramond with Brittany. Finally.

On Thursday and Friday, I was by myself with the children. So Friday afternoon, Rosa baked a lemon cake, with lemon icing and we turned it into my goodbye cake. Felix put candles on it, and I wore Shrek ears. We took lots of pictures, laughed a lot and watched tv, since their parents were out. Later on in the evening, their dad got back but I think the cake was gone by that time. It was so yummy!
On Saturday, I moved house, with the help of Laura and her wee Ka, Patrick. Fantastic help. I got bruises on my arms again though, and Khris called me a junkie. Ops. So I wore long sleeves most of the week.
Brittany and I finally made it to Cramond later that day, we caught a bus and walked around the town, up the river Almond and found a waterfall. I loved the waterfall, and the 3 men fishing in the river, because it was getting to be low tide in the sea near by, the river was also pretty low. It was beautiful. Because we'd walked around the river, and along the shore, and around the village, we went to Cramond Inn and had dinner after a bit of faffing around working out how the place worked and how we would get served - do you order at the bar, sit and wait for staff to come and take your order, find a table and take it in turns to go up to the bar to order not forgetting your table number which is not written on the table (the latter was correct). By the time we'd finished, it 2 hours to low tide, and therefore safe and possible to walk onto Cramond Island, the main purpose of our visit, I think. It was about 7:45pm, and at the time of year, in this country, getting dark, though not too dark. However, what we did not realize was just how quickly it does get too dark. By this time though, we were half way to the Island on the Causeway. Fog started to come in, and the seagulls were screeching as they do, sounding like a girl's screams. At some stages, we could hardly see where we were putting our feet. Well... whether where we were putting our feet was wet or not. It was a little eerie and I felt like one of the Famous Five, going to Smugglers Top. Enid Blyton would be proud of me for going all the way to the Island, without crying or running back the other way screaming. The trick is to keep on laughing about it. We did.
The rest of this week I've been getting my room sorted, going to classes, getting to know my new flatmates - Stevo, Katy and Arpita - and chilling out with them, cooking lots and then yesterday, my colleague Penny who drives into Edinburgh from Fife daily offered me a ride to Ikea, so I went and got a bookcase. Only thing is, she couldn't drive me back so I got the bus back, with my 20kg flatpacked bookcase. It was fine really, but now my arms are bruised again, and even more so than before. So it's looking like the long sleeved shirts are not going away any time soon. And then it'll get to winter weather. Though I may look like a junkie, on the upside, it built muscles in my arms, and I have a lovely bookcase. For a tenner. Bargain! Tonight, Edinburgh are playing Glasgow in rugby at Murrayfield. Some friends and I are going to go down and see if we can get tickets at the gate. I hope so, I hope so!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin