Wednesday 13 September 2006

Building Character and Making Cake.

A cake I made with Kaj. Yum!
Well, I made it through the 50 hours I was left alone to decide everything for 4 kids! Got out the other end completely emotionally drained and physically pretty tired for reasons other than the children (I woke up both nights because I had the flu - first night headache and earache and jaw ache, and the second night I had a temperature and was absolutely boiling). Yesterday evening Christina got home, I went to my room collapsed on my bed and could not stop tears. I don't know. A mix of relief, release of pressure, exhaustion, a sense of accomplishment, stress... I have to say, Nadia was a big help! She came round to chill out on Monday night, and ended up helping Rosa with her homework, and helping me clean the kitchen! I think this is going to be one long year of growing and character building. I just need to remember to react to everything in a Christ-like manner. Even just in the past few days though I've had the reflex to go to the Bible more to find the resourcing and rest I need, which has been amazing. I've had a couple of conversations with Kaj about God and then one with Rosa and Felix too. I've never shared the gospel to children before. I'm not sure how to go about it. Any ideas? Kaj started one of the conversations after having read one of my Bible quotes on the wall. So Leanne suggested I change those regularly and put ones up that tell the gospel story. Also talk about it as fact of truth rather than a belief I have. Oh this weekend was exciting, because I got back in contact with 2 of my childhood friends, one whom I haven't seen in about 16 years, the other in about 10 years. Ankunda, I knew when I was small and my friend Megan knows him and his parents well, especially as she was in Uganda this summer helping them there. It was amazing seeing where Ankunda is now and what he's up to. His brother, Daudi, is now 17 and a musician with a couple of unsigned albums. I got to listen to a couple of his songs online - fantastic! And then James Griffin, who I saw about 10 years ago when we were in London. He was my childhood sweetheart from what I'm told - my friend Ruthie who is 6 years older than me used to make James and I kiss when we were 2, and we have a picture of him and I holding hands going to the zoo. Awww! He's now at uni in Newcastle (I nearly went there - how crazy would that have been!) and seems to be well. He was in Kenya on mission this summer, the "in" thing to do apparently!
The Camp America ball has started rolling, so I need to book an interview - they start happening in just 2 weeks' time. I'm excited but a little apprehensive at the thought of it all. But hopefully this year will be good training for it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all such exciting reading Anna. You poor thing being so unwell. Say thanks to Nadia from me! We are praying for your witness to the family. Living with someone says so much about character. May yours be CHristlike.
Have you recived our envelope yet with various pictures from Joe and Ben? Was the cake you made with Kaj a banana one?
Love you
Mum X

Anna said...

mum, thanks!
I have received no such envelope, but I did get one you forwarded from the university this morning if that is any help as far "time it will take" goes?
The cake I made with Kaj was indeed a banana one. I also made a banana one with Rosa and Kaj before this one with lemon icing (make up icing using lemon juice instead of water - amazing!!!) I find the banana cake is especially nice when made with wholemeal flour.
Oh at this lunch time, Rosa came in asking her dad to sign for her to go to Quest Club which is run by Scripture Union. The lady who helps run it goes to my church! I'm so excited!
Love you too,
me x

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin